- 3 egg whites
- castor sugar (75g)
- ground almonds (125g)
- icing sugar (175g)
- flavourings (strawberry, lemon, vanilla)
- food colourings (pink, yellow, blue)
- fillings (strawberry jam, lemon curd, chocolate spread)
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and in a clean, dry bowl whisk the whites until thick and glossy.
- Add the castor sugar and whisk again until stiff.
- Sieve the almonds and icing sugar into the bowl and carefully fold in, retaining as much air as possible.
- Divide the mixture between three bowls and add the colouring and flavourings to each:-
- lemon flavour & yellow food coluring
- vanilla flavour & blue food colouring.
- Put each one into a separate piping bag.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper or a silicon mat and pipe small circles (3cm across) onto the tray, leaving a small gap between each macaron.
- Put the tray to one side to rest for 15 minutes to allow a slight skin to form.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Pick the tray up and drop it onto a flat surface from a small height- this forms the ‘feet’ that are associated with macarons.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove and allow to chill at room temperature until completely cold.
- Sandwich the macarons with a filling of choice:
-lemon curd (yellow)
-chocolate spread (blue)
Makes: approximately 48.
I made these macaroons with a few of my friends as of recently. It took a few attempts for us to perfect the method, however it was definitely worth it! I'd love to see the macaroons that you have made, so feel free to send me photos at email@example.com.
Hugs and kisses, Sarah xo