Pages

18.3.15

The Hungry Girl's Guide to Manchester: Part 1

Federal, Ziferblat
Bonbon Chocolate Boutique, Luck Lust Liquor and Burn
Common
Since I'm a bit of a foodie and self-confessed connoisseur when it comes to Manchester's cafe culture, I thought I'd start a series on my blog introducing to you some of my favourite places to eat in the city, particularly in the Northern Quarter region.

1. Federal: This is a relatively new addition to the Northern Quarter which can be found just opposite the Arndale Market. If you enjoy breakfast foods then this is the place for you, with the menu featuring delicious twists on classics such as eggs, muesli and French toast, plus they make a mean banana bread! Not only that but the coffee is incredibly smooth and perfectly Instagram worthy- it's practically a work of art!

2. Ziferblat: Like Federal this cafe hasn't been around for long, although it's certainly becoming very popular. The name 'Ziferblat' actually means 'clock face' in Russian since this place has an interesting concept. As opposed to paying for the food and drink you consume, you pay-as-you-go for the time you spend there, costing just 5p per minute. Ziferblat have a wide selection of cakes, biscuits and cereal available as well as various beverages, although the only downside is the fact you have to wash up after yourself, but considering it's so cheap you can't really complain. One of my favourite aspects of Ziferblat is the numerous board games they have lying around, so if you fancy a game of Cards Against Humanity or Jenga with your cup of tea then I highly recommend this place. 

3. Bonbon Chocolate Boutique: If you're into artisan chocolate or simply want to satisfy a sweet tooth then you'll love Bonbon Chocolate Boutique. The Latin-American style hot chocolates are easily the best I've ever tried and are both rich and silky smooth with a variety of flavours, my favourite being salted caramel. The cafe also sells a selection of fine chocolates and cakes infused with interesting flavour combinations. Although the place isn't ideal for larger groups since it is rather tiny, this just adds to the ambiance and the cafe's many quirks.

4. Luck Lust Liquor and Burn: From the brains behind Almost Famous this place is perfect if you love Mexican food as much as I do. Being a vegetarian I've never eaten at Almost Famous, but Luck Lust Liquor and Burn offers a variety of dishes to suit all needs, be it a street food style snack or drool-worthy burrito from the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas inspired menu. Definitely one to visit if you're in town!

5. Common: Common is one of my favourites in Manchester and a regular hangout for me since I'll admit I'm a little bit addicted to their chilli cheese fries. Located on Edge Street between Ziferblat and Home Sweet Home (another fond favourite!) Common is a bar serving up delicious good-value food to appeal to any craving, ranging from hearty salads to tacos or burgers. It's difficult to miss since it's always plastered with amazing artwork and murals  that change on a regular basis, and I hear their DJ sets and quiz nights are great fun as well.




1 comment :

  1. These sound amazing, I'm at uni in Huddersfield so Manc isn't too far for me to come to try these out. Thanks for the recommendations!

    Hunter // paisley-stripes.blogspot.co.uk

    XO

    ReplyDelete